To: U.S. Citizens in Portugal
Event: Due to increased risk posed by wildfires across the country, the Portuguese government has declared a countrywide State of Contingency beginning Monday, July 11, 2022 until Friday, July 15, 2022. Additionally, the local weather service has indicated hot dry temperatures throughout the country, which may exacerbate the risk of wildfires. As a result, the majority of the country will be considered at “extreme risk”, “very high risk”, or “high risk” for the remainder of the week.
The Portuguese government will implement the following exceptional restrictive measures:
- Prohibition of access: certain forest spaces previously defined in the Municipal Fire Protection Plans, as well as in forest paths, rural paths and other roads that cross them, may be closed.
- Fires: Prohibition of carrying out fires, bonfires, and controlled burning.
- Industrial Work: Prohibition of carrying out work in forest areas using any type of machinery, with the exception of those associated with rural firefighting situations.
- Certain Lumber Activities: Prohibition of carrying out work in other rural areas using metal blade or disc mowers, brush cutters, shredders and machines with blades or front shovel.
- Fireworks: Total ban on the use of fireworks or other pyrotechnic artifacts, regardless of their form of combustion, as well as the suspension of permits that have been previously issued.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Track updates to high-risk areas using the Risk Level Map.
- View the gov.pt for the full textand list of restrictions.
- Avoid dangerous areas.
- Make contingency plans in case you need to leave.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
American Citizens Services, U.S. Embassy, Lisbon, Portugal
Emergency during Business Hours: +351 21-727-3300
Emergency outside of Business Hours: +351 21-727-3300
U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
+1 (202) 501-4444 (from overseas) or +1 (888) 407-4747 (from the United States)