Last updated: October 06, 2022
The CDC’s Order requiring proof of vaccination for non-U.S. citizen nonimmigrants to travel to the United States is still in effect. For more information see Requirement for Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination for Air Passengers.
Check the CDC website for additional information and Frequently Asked Questions.
Entry and Exit Requirements
- Are there COVID-related entry requirements for U.S. citizens? No
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? No
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes (Airport temperature scans and random screenings)
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? No
Effective October 1, the State of Alert in Portugal is longer in effect. Quarantine/isolation is no longer mandatory.
- PCR and antigen tests are available for U.S. citizens in Portugal.
- Many testing locations are available, for all testing requirements.
- Testing is not paid for by the government for travel purposes; U.S. citizens must pay for their own testing.
- Delivery of results vary, but the majority of major laboratories have the ability to deliver result via email, text message, and custom apps. These usually come with a scannable QR code.
- For the nearest testing facilities consult Portuguese health authorities (SNS) using the Portuguese COVID-19 Health Hotlines:
- Mainland Portugal – (+ 351) 808 24 24 24 (Press 9 for English)
- Azores – (+351) 808 24 60 24 Testing Facilities
- Madeira – (+351) 800 24 24 20
COVID-19 Vaccine Information:
- Are vaccines available in Portugal for U.S. citizens to receive? Yes
- Portugal Health Authorities have an ongoing vaccination process.
- For specific information and additional guidelines on vaccination in Portugal visit: https://www.sns.gov.pt/vacinacaocovid19/
- If you do not have a National Health Service number, click https://servicos.min-saude.pt/covid19/vacinacao-nao-utente
- Visit the FDA’s website to learn more about FDA-approved vaccines in the United States.
- Please follow host country guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination.
- Mainland: https://covid19estamoson.gov.pt/
- Azores: https://covid19azores.gov.pt
- Madeira: https://www.visitmadeira.pt/
- Visit – Safe Communities Portugal for COVID-19 guides: https://www.safecommunitiesportugal.com/guides/
- Consult the Portuguese Government’s latest updates on COVID-19 at: Portuguese Director General of Health (DGS) COVID-19 information (for English click on the Globe on the upper side of the page).
- Is a curfew in place? [No
- Are there restrictions on intercity or interstate travel? No
- Masks: The majority of mask mandates have been largely eliminated, with notable exceptions for health facilities and nursing homes, where masks are still required.
Fines for Non-Compliance
- Non-compliance with restrictions and measures can be punishable with fines and /or prosecution for “disobedience
- All passengers traveling to the Azores do not have public health control measures on entry. For more information please consult https://destinoseguro.azores.gov.pt/.
- There are no restrictions on the entry of travelers at airports, ports and marinas. For more information, visit visitmadeira.pt
The use of a mask is mandatory for persons 6 and older for the locations indicated below, in accordance with Resolution n” 783/2022 of the August 26, 2022:
- Health facilities and services, including pharmacies
- For COVID positive persons, in all circumstances, until the 5th day after the onset of symptoms or a positive test result.
NOTE: Airlines are free to determine the obligation or recommendation of wearing a mask.
- Portugal Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
U.S. Embassy Lisbon, Portugal