Location: Announced gathering point in Lisbon includes, but is not limited to, Marques de Pombal. The 25th of April Bridge, IC19, A1, and A8 roads could be severely impacted.
Organizers have also called for demonstrations to take place in Porto, Coimbra, Faro, Portimão, Ovar, V.N. Famalicao, Viseu, Santarem, and Guarda.
Event: Demonstrations are expected to take place in Lisbon and throughout the country on December 21st, beginning at 07:00 a.m. The groups intend to engage in demonstrations inspired by the recent protests in France. Additional demonstrations in other major cities in Portugal may also be planned, though specific locations have not yet been announced.
Actions to take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a low profile
- Notify friends and family of your safety
- U.S. Embassy in Portugal
- Phone number (business hours) + (351) 21-770-2122
- Phone number (after hours) + (351) 21-727-3300
- American Citizen Services: ConsLisbon@state.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- Phone number 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Portugal Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter