Message from the U.S. Embassy in Lisbon
Welcome! The U.S. Embassy in Lisbon, together with the Portuguese Ministry of Science, Technology, and Higher Education, and the Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT), is committed to supporting U.S.-Portugal scientific collaboration. This page describes funding opportunities and other resources available through the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to assist applicants develop, fund, and sustain research collaborations.
The U.S. National Institutes of Health, an agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, is the primary U.S. medical research agency dedicated to making important discoveries that improve health and save lives. The NIH is the largest source of funding for medical research in the world, with an annual budget of nearly $32.3 billion to support biomedical research. In addition to supporting the full array of NIH institute research, a large portion of this budget funds research at academic institutes across the U.S. and the world. In addition to being the primary recipient of or collaborator on a research grant, Portuguese scientists can take advantage of opportunities to work NIH laboratories in the United States.
This page provides links to:
- NIH Research Funding Programs
- NIH Funding Eligibility Information
- NIH Grants Resources
- NIH Visiting Program – Postdoctoral Fellows and Visiting Scientists
- Strategies and tools for developing research collaborations with U.S. scientists
- Strategies and tools for developing NIH grant proposals
- NIH International Research Support Resources
- Experimental clinical trials at the NIH Clinical Center