The Foreign National Student Internship Program is designed for students who are non-U.S. citizens seeking internships at U.S. Missions abroad. The Program benefits both students and Posts, providing students with important educational experience in various areas of foreign policy while providing Posts with valuable assistance in accomplishing their mission goals.
U.S. Embassy Lisbon’s Foreign National Student Intern Program offers students enrolled in local universities the opportunity to work in the field of foreign policy and management in an American environment for a short period of time. Internships are either curricular or professional* and all are on-site at the U.S. Embassy in Lisbon. Internships are unpaid and provide no benefits** nor any future employment rights.
Minimum eligibility Requirements
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be enrolled at a local university (undergraduate or graduate)
- Must have a minimum grade point average of 14 (on a 20-point scale)
- Must be a Portuguese citizen or legal resident of Portugal
- Must provide a copy of official ID card
- Must be able to receive a security certification [an internship may not start until the security certification is issued by the Regional Security Office (RSO)]
- Must be able to receive a medical certificate from the student’s doctor indicating fitness to work
- Must fill out a a Vaccine Attestation Form prior to entry on embassy grounds
Duration of Internship: Minimum: 8 weeks / Maximum: 3 calendar months
* Foreign Commercial Service internships are strictly curricular
** Exception: Interns in professional/non-curricular internships are eligible for a lunch stipend