FESTVERDE 2019 —- #ReforestationNation
Saturday, November 16, 2019 – 12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Pinhal de Leiria
Join U.S. Embassy Lisbon in the beautiful, historic Pinhal de Leiria for a GREEN day filled with educational booths and presentations on environmental sustainability, eco-friendly exhibitors, and the planting of thousands of native trees in one of Portugal’s most renowned forests! In partnership with Quercus, participants will have the opportunity to join in planting trees, while celebrating this momentous occasion with music, food, games, and fun!
*** Open to the Public ***
Where is FestVerde taking place?
- FestVerde will take place in Pinhal de Leiria (Leiria’s Pine Forest). To arrive, please copy and paste the coordinates below into Google Maps or use the hyperlink in your mobile device to access the directions. The entrance to the event is directly off of Estrada Atlantica, which will be marked with American flag streamers for easy entrance identification.
Exact Coordinates: 39°50’46.3″N 8°58’05.5″W
How do I register to volunteer for tree planting?
- Registration will begin at 12:00 p.m. and conclude at 2:00 p.m. There will be 50 available spots for volunteers, so please arrive early to claim your volunteer spot. Available volunteer positions will be claimed on a first-come, first-serve basis. We ask that all those who desire to volunteer should arrive prior to 1:00 p.m. to join us for the formal ceremony and a short welcome briefing by Quercus’ staff. Planting will begin immediately after the conclusion of the ceremony and briefing at 2:15 p.m. and continue until 4:15 p.m.
If I volunteer to plant, what should I wear/bring?
- Outdoor footwear e.g. sneakers or garden boots/clogs.
- Long pants (Please be prepared for the possibility of thorns and tree branches in the planting site).
- Rain gear (Please continue to hope for a bright sunny day, but please feel free to bring a rain jacket/poncho, in the case of a light drizzle).
- Water bottle (We will provide water refill stations throughout the site).
- FYI: All gardening materials will be provided.
What types of trees will be planted, and how long will the volunteer activity last?
- Volunteers will help plant two types of pine trees: pinheiro manso (stone pine) and pinheiro bravo (maritime pine). The planting session will include a short welcome briefing and will last for about two hours. Planting monitors from Quercus will be available to answer questions, supervise volunteers, and provide support.
NOTE: As we will be in the forest, there will be no wi-fi or electricity. Please plan accordingly.
Will food be available for volunteers?
- All food will be sold by: “Roulotte 100 Stress” (local, popular food truck). “Roulotte 100 Stress” will be offering veggie burgers, hamburgers, bifanas, and hot dogs with a side of chips, and an assortment of drinks. Cash only.
What are the parking accommodations?
- Upon arrival, please follow the guidance of the parking attendant to ensure orderly arrival and departures. Parking is free.
Will there be activities for children/teens at FestVerde?
- Yes, we will have six (6) stations for children/teen activities throughout the day with special prizes! Please see the following offerings below:
- Arts and Crafts: (Ages 3-10)
- Board Games: (Ages 7-14)
- GreenMusic: (Ages 4-10): Children will join in learn & singing the “Recycling Song” to the tune of an American Classic, “Row, Row, Row Your Boat.”
- GreenSpeed: (Ages 12-17) Students will be challenged to closely listen to Lenore Hetrick’s, “The Earth Speaks,”which will prompt various student movements during the recitation of the poem.
- GreenPeace: (Ages 12-17) Students will participate in a mindfulness practice to reflect on how they engage with the environment on a daily basis.
- GreenTrivia: (Ages 12-17) Students will be challenged on their knowledge of environmental sustainability and participate in physical fitness activities.
What vendors/exhibitors will be in attendance at FestVerde?
- Quercus – Associação Nacional De Conservação Da Natureza: https://www.quercus.pt/
- Department of State Alumni: https://alumni.state.gov/
- USDA: https://www.usda.gov/
- EducationUSA: https://educationusa.state.gov/centers/fulbright-lisbon
- Rotary Portugal: https://www.rotaryportugal.pt/
- NAJHA – Luxury Ecofashion: http://site.najha.com/
- INIAV: http://www.iniav.pt/
- Roulotte 100 Stress: https://www.facebook.com/Roulotte-100-Stress-233275500586179/
Interested in learning more about U.S. Embassy Lisbon’s Reforestation Campaign?
- Leading up to April 22, Earth Day 2019, the Embassy launched a 22-day #ReforestationNation campaign using social media, cultural events, and educational outreach. In an effort to continue the expansion of this effort, we have reaffirmed our commitment to the Portuguese people and government by donating trees to the Pinhal de Leiria (Leiria’s Pine Forest). For more information regarding the campaign: Click Here!
- If you are unable to join us on Saturday, please follow us on social media to learn more about our continued commitment to reforestation and to virtually follow the fun on Saturday! Going green FOR #ReforestationNation