The U.S. government remains concerned that terrorists are intent on targeting U.S. citizens, including children. Terrorists may employ a variety of tactics, such as violent assaults and kidnappings. In the past they have used knives, guns, and vehicles as ramming devices. They may target schools, hospitals, churches, tourist locations, transportation hubs, and other public venues.
Actions to take:
- Stay alert in public places, including schools, hospitals, churches, tourist locations and transportation hubs.
- Review travel routes and times to reduce time and place predictability.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Report social media threats to local authorities.
- 112 – National number to report an emergency (e.g., police, fire, medical)
- S. Embassy in Portugal + (351) 21-770-2122
- + (351) 21-727-3300 (after hours)
- American Citizen Services: firstname.lastname@example.org
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Portugal Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter