Weather Alert – U.S. Consulate Ponta Delgada, Azores, Portugal
- Flores Island
- Corvo Island
Event: Tropical Storm Helene is expected to pass through the Azores archipelago starting at approximately 6:00 a.m. on Saturday, September 15, 2018. The Portuguese Institute of the Sea and Atmosphere has issued a red alert for the westernmost islands of Flores and Corvo, where extremely heavy rainfall, high winds, and rough seas are expected. Less severe orange and yellow alerts have also been issued for the central islands (Terceira, Faial, Pico, Sao Jorge, and Graciosa) and eastern islands (Sao Miguel and Santa Maria) due to expected heavy rainfall, high winds, and rough seas.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the local news as well as the Azores Civil Protection website for updated storm tracking information.
- Avoid the area until the storm has dissipated.
- Seek secure shelter if traveling in the affected region.
- Make contingency plans to leave in the event conditions worsen.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Follow directions from local officials.
- U.S. Consulate Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel Island, Azores, Portugal
(+351) 296-308-330, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- U.S. Embassy Lisbon, Portugal (+351) 21-770-2122,
or after hours (+351) 21-727-3300, email@example.com.
- State Department – Consular Affairs
(+1) 888-407-4747 or (+1) 202-501-4444
- Portugal Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.