- Monchique, county
- Silves, county
- Portimao, county
Event: Wildfires that began on Friday, August 3 continue to burn in the Algarve region and on the border of the Alentejo region of Portugal. Strong winds have contributed to the fire spreading, including to some inhabited areas. Several areas have been evacuated. Roads have been closed, including at several points along EN266 in Nave Redonda, Fóia, and Monchique, and on the EN267, in the area of Monchique. Be alert for additional road closures and heed directions from local authorities regarding possible evacuations.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area
- Seek secure shelter.
- Monitor local media for updates
- Make contingency plans to leave
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Notify friends and family of your safety
- U.S. Embassy in Portugal + (351) 21-770-2122
- + (351) 21-727-3300 (after hours)
- American Citizen Services: email@example.com
- State Department – – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Portugal Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter