A demonstration is expected to take place near the Embassy’s main entrance on Avenida das Forças Armadas beginning at 3:00 p.m. on Thursday May 10, 2018. The group intends to protest U.S. policy on Jerusalem.
After 2:45 p.m., the main entrance of the Embassy will be closed to vehicle and pedestrian traffic. Consular appointments at these times will be rescheduled.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Monitor local media for updates
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a low profile
- Notify friends and family of your safety
- U.S. Embassy in Portugal + (351) 21-770-2122
- + (351) 21-727-3300 (after hours)
- American Citizen Services: email@example.com
- State Department – – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Portugal Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter