Location: Sao Jorge Island, Azores, Portugal
Event: The Regional Government of the Azores advises against travel to Sao Jorge island in the Azores at this time. The island of Sao Jorge has experienced over 1,500 low intensity earthquakes since March 19. The earthquakes are centered in the municipality of Velas. Officials advise that trips to the island should be postponed, and that travel should be undertaken only for essential reasons. It is possible that an evacuation order could be issued for the island. Officials are concerned about the potential for a larger magnitude earthquake(s) or a volcanic eruption.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Visit the Portuguese website for the Center of Information and Seismovulcanic Monitoring of the Azores.
- Avoid the area.
- Seek secure shelter.
- Make contingency plans to leave.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
U.S. Consulate Ponta Delgada
U.S. Embassy Lisbon
State Department – Consular Affairs
(+1) 888-407-4747 or (+1) 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates