Location: Portugal, countrywide
Event: During the holiday season, we encourage U.S. citizens in Portugal to remain vigilant due to ongoing threats posed by transnational terrorist organizations and individuals inspired by violent extremist ideology throughout Europe. Violent extremists continue to focus on locations such as Christmas holiday markets, shopping malls, airports, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, transportation hubs, and other soft targets frequented by tourists.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise additional vigilance at holiday festivals and events, places of worship, and locations with large crowds.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- American Citizen Services, U.S. Embassy Lisbon, Portugal
Phone number (business hours): (+351) 21-727-3300
Phone number (after hours): (+351) 21-727-3300
- State Department – Consular Affairs: ( +1) 888-407-4747 or (+1) 202-501-4444
- Portugal specific Information: COVID 19 page
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter