The U.S. Embassy in Lisbon alerts U.S. citizens that local authorities discovered a suspicious package at the São Sebastião metro station (intersection of blue and red lines) in Lisbon. The metro station and the area have been evacuated. The Embassy has advised its personnel to avoid the São Sebastião metro station area until local authorities have announced that the area is safe.
You should avoid the area, maintain a high level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security, and monitor local news stations for updates.
For further information about security in Portugal:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Portugal’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Portugal, located at Avenida das Forças Armadas, in the neighborhood of Sete Rios near the Jardim Zoológico, at + (351) 21-770-2122, 08:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Mondaythrough Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(351) 21-727-3300.
- Call 1-888-407-4747toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook