Eligibility for a CRBA

Report of Birth

The birth of a child in Portugal to a U.S. citizen parent(s) should be reported as soon as possible to the U.S. Embassy in Lisbon for the purpose of establishing an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. The Consular Report of Birth Abroad serves as the official record and can only be prepared at an American Consulate overseas while the child is under 18 years of age.

Applications for birth registrations are accepted by appointment only. You may schedule an appointment online.

To apply for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, you will need the following documents:

  1. A certified copy of the child’s long form Portuguese birth certificate, “Assento de Nascimento”;
  2. Passport of the U.S. citizen parent(s) as well as U.S. Naturalization Certificate, if applicable;
  3. Proof of identity for the non-U.S. citizen parent, such as ID card or passport;
  4. Marriage certificate if the parents are married;
  5. Divorce decree if either parent has been divorced;
  6. Declaration from the hospital showing the mother’s name, child’s sex and date of birth;
  7. One 5×5 cm photo of the child on a white background (baby pictures cannot be taken at the Embassy);
  8. Proof of physical presence in the United States if only one parent is a U.S. citizen is required. The U.S. citizen parent must demonstrate that s/he has lived in the United States or its outlying possessions for at least five years, two of which after the age of 14. Evidence can include school transcripts/report cards, school/college diplomas, etc.;
  9. The following completed forms:
    — application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad (DS-2029) (PDF 56 KB)
    — passport application (DS-11) (PDF 1.5 MB), and
    — application for social security number (SS-5) (PDF 60 KB)
  10. Local Post Office envelope (CTT Correio Verde M C4 229×324) with the amount of 1,60 € in stamps for the registration.

Both parents and the child (children) should be present for the interview.

Current information about our consular fees.

For additional information, please visit: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/while-abroad/birth-abroad.html