Emergency Financial Assistance

Hours: 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. weekdays

Phone: 1-888-407-4747

When a U.S. citizen encounters an emergency financial situation abroad, the Department of State’s Office of Overseas Citizens Services (OCS) can establish a trust account in the citizen’s name to forward funds overseas. This fund transfer is facilitated by the Embassy, as opposed to a private transfer of funds that is also outlined on our website. Upon receipt of funds, OCS will transfer the money to the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate for disbursement to the recipient. The recipient must contact the Embassy or Consulate directly to arrange receipt. The fee for establishing a trust account is $30. The recipient’s name and overseas location (city, country) must be provided with the fund transfer, or the transfer will be delayed. The Embassy or Consulate normally disburses funds in the foreign country’s currency and not in U.S. dollars. Trust fund transfers are a one-time service, except in specific, pre-approved circumstances. Funds sent during non-business hours may not be processed until the next business day. Questions can be directed to OCS at 1-888-407-4747.

For more information, please refer to the State Department Website.