International Parental Child Abduction

If your child has been abducted from the U.S. to Portugal, speak with a U.S. State Department officer to discuss your case. We know what resources are available in different countries and can answer questions. Click for specific information for Portugal including emergency contact information.

Child Custody Disputes

Portugal and the United States are parties to the 1988 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction. If a child is abducted from Portugal to the United States or another country party to the Convention, the left-behind parent may file an application for return at the Central Authority for Portugal. The address is:

Ministério da Justica
Direcção Geral de Reinserção e Serviços Prisionais
Avenida Almirante Reis, 101-7
1197 Lisboa Codex
Telephone: (351) 21-352-4709
Fax: (351) 21-352-1582

If the child is abducted from the United States to Portugal or another Convention party, the left-behind parent may file an application for return with the U.S. Central Authority at the following address:

Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children’s Issues
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444