Notarial Services

Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.

The American Citizens Services unit offers notarial services for documents to be used in the United States. The services are provided by appointment every Tuesday.

To make an appointment, please access the appointment system here.

In order for your documents to be notarized, you must:

  • Have a government-issued photo ID, e.g. a passport.
  • Understand your document, as we are not allowed to explain the contents to you. If you don’t appear to be capable of understanding the implications of the transaction, the notarial service can be refused.
  • You are not acting under duress or by coercion.
  • Complete the document with the appropriate names, places, and dates. If the document requires a witness, you MUST bring your own; the staff cannot  act as witnesses.
  • Do not sign the document(s); you’ll sign the document(s) at the Embassy or Consulate in front of a Consular Officer.
  • Make an online appointment with us.
  • The fee is $50 for each document that requires a notary service. More information about our fees.

Note: Payment can be made in dollars, euros, or credit card. Multibanco and debit cards are not accepted.

IMPORTANT:  Due to government regulations, U.S. Embassies and Consulates cannot provide the following services:

  • Notarization/legalization/certification/authentication of documents issued by state or county governments, namely, birth, marriage, or death certificates and drivers’ licenses.
  • W-7 Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs).
  • Notarization/legalization/certification/authentication of U.S. academic credentials. An Apostille seal must be obtained from the Secretary of State for the U.S. state in which the documents were issued.
  • Form I-864 (Affidavit of Support), which no longer requires notarization.
  • Certified copies (“true copies”) of original, non-U.S. documents. Unless requested by a government agency.
  • Authenticate translations of foreign academic credentials

For more information, please check below:

In order to exchange one’s U.S. drivers’ license for a Portuguese drivers’ license, the Instituto da Mobilidade e dos Transportes Terrestres (IMTT), which is the equivalent to a U.S. Department of Motor Vehicles, has advised the Embassy that one should obtain and present the following U.S. document:

Abstract of Driving Record from one’s last U.S. state of residence, indicating that the drivers’ license issued by that State is an authentic and valid document.  The document must show the validity of the drivers’ license, date of issuance, license class, and any suspension/revocations.

This document must be legalized with an Apostille certificate by designated authorities in the jurisdiction where the document was issued.  In general, this authority is the state Secretary of State’s office.

For a list of officers of the individual states and other subdivisions please check the following website: List of contacts for Officers of the individual states and other subdivisions.

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­For further information, please contact IMTT by telephone at:  + (351) 217913000 or + (351) 808 201 212 or visit the IMTT website at:

The current procedure is to enroll with the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), which is done entirely online through the STEP website.  Enrollment is voluntary, free of charge, and allows the Department of State to assist you more easily in case of an emergency.  We encourage you to enroll whether you are visiting Portugal or residing here.

If you need to legalize documents issued by Portuguese ministries, courts, registry offices and notaries, lawyers, solicitors, commerce and industry chambers, postal service, public schools, city councils and parish councils for use in the US  you must

Obtain an Apostille seal from the Prosecutor General of the Republic or the District Deputy Prosecutor General of Porto, Coimbra, Évora or from the public prosecutors who lead the County District Prosecutors’ Offices of Madeira (seat in Funchal) and Açores (seat in Ponta Delgada).

For additional information and contact info please click  here

Portuguese authorities may also certify documents executed by private schools, provided the following formalities are complied with:

Documents executed by private pre-school, primary and secondary teaching establishments are first certified by the Direção-Geral dos Estabelecimentos Escolares (Praça de Alvalade, n.º 12, Lisboa; telephone: 21 8433900;

Documents executed by private higher education establishments are first certified by the Direção-Geral do Ensino Superior (Av. Duque D’Ávila, nº 137, Lisboa; telephone: 21 3126000;

For additional information and contact info please click here.

The U.S. Embassy does not authenticate U.S. educational transcripts. Transcripts may be authenticated by the Secretary of State of the state in which the grades were obtained and then translated into Portuguese. For more information please access State Department’s website.

State issued documents destined for use in Portugal may be authenticated with an Apostille seal issued by the Competent Authority in the state where the document was executed. A list of these authorities can be found on the Hague Convention website.

A document with an Apostille seal does not require additional certification by the U.S. Department of State or legalization by the  U.S. embassy or consulate to be recognized in Portugal.

Further information on how to request an Apostille seal can be found at the State Department’s website.

A medallion signature guarantees are often required by U.S. banks or mutual fund companies. Unfortunately, we cannot legally perform a signature guarantee.

A Medallion Signature Guarantee is not a notarial service, but rather a special procedure related to securities, which can only be performed by an authorized representative of a financial institution participating in a medallion program approved by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). U.S. Consular Officers are not authorized to provide a signature guarantee/medallion guarantee service.

The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission may be contacted directly via the Internet at SEC website, via telephone at 1-800-SEC-0330 (investor assistance and complaints), via fax at 202-942-7040, or by mail at Mail Stop 11-2, 450 Fifth Street N.W., Washington, D.C. 20549.

An Affidavit is a sworn statement used for a variety of purposes. The U.S. Embassy does not guarantee the accuracy of the information in the affidavit. Rather, the U.S. Embassy simply verifies the identity of the individual(s) signing the affidavit.

Please note that the U.S. Embassy is unable to provide advice about the content or usage of the affidavit, including with respect to documents to be submitted to a Portuguese government office or agency. Please consult with the relevant Portuguese authorities directly as to whether a notarized affidavit is acceptable in your situation.

The U.S. Embassy/Consulates does not provide translation services.

If you bring the original document and the English translation, we will notarize the translation as an affidavit. An affidavit is a sworn statement and may be used in different situations for many different purposes. The translator of the document must appear in person at the Embassy/Consulate with a valid I.D. and sign in front of a consular officer.

If you need a birth, marriage, death or divorce certificate from your State,  please follow the link