If you are a U.S. citizen, but have never been issued a U.S. passport, you must make an appointment and apply in person at the U.S. Embassy and submit:
- Completed DS-11 application from the Passport Application Wizard. ONLY BLACK INK IS ACCEPTABLE. Do not sign the form. You will sign the form in the presence of the Consul as an oath will be administered
- Proof of U.S. citizenship such as:
- Certified Birth Certificate issued by the city, county, or state
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
- Naturalization Certificate or Certificate of Citizenship
- Proof of Identity
- Naturalization Certificate
- Valid Driver’s License (Carta de Condução)
- Current Government ID (Bilhete de Identidade)
- Current Military ID
- One photo (5cm x 5cm with white background) There is a photo booth at the Embassy that will generate two photos for 5 euros
- The appropriate fee
- A local Post Office registered pre-paid envelope (“Correio Registado” format C5 for 100g) with stamps for 0.80 euros or a “Correio Verde” / “Correio Azul” envelope with stamps for 1.70 euros (one per applicant). Please note you must pre-address the envelope with your name and address.
Note: If you are applying for the first passport for a child under the age of 18 who was born overseas, you must first report the child’s birth. Please see our section on Reporting a Birth Abroad.