If you are a U.S. citizen, but have never been issued a U.S. passport, you must make an APPOINTMENT and apply in person at the U.S. Embassy and submit:
1. Completed DS-11 application from the Passport Application Wizard. Do not sign the form. You will sign the form in the presence of the Consul as an oath will be administered
2. Proof of U.S. citizenship such as:
- Certified Birth Certificate issued by the city, county, or state
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
- Naturalization Certificate or Certificate of Citizenship
3. Proof of Identity
- Naturalization Certificate
- Valid Driver’s License (Carta de Condução)
- Current Government ID (Bilhete de Identidade)
- Current Military ID
4. One photo (5cm x 5cm with white background). No glasses.
5. The appropriate fee
- Local Post Office pre-paid envelope “Correio Verde” / “Correio Azul” envelope
- 1.75 euros in stamps to pay for the registration (one per applicant).
- You must pre-address the envelope with your name and address.
Note: In applying for the first passport for a child under the age of 18 who was born overseas, you must first report the child’s birth. Please see our section on Reporting a Birth Abroad.