Requirements of passport renewal applications by mail:
1. Please complete, print, and sign your completed DS-82 application from the Passport Application NAVIGATOR. NOTE: You must provide a Social Security number, if you been issued one.
2. One photo measuring 5cm x 5cm. The background of the photo must be white. No glasses.
3. Applicant’s current passport
4. Appropriate fee
Option 1: Online Payment
- Qualifying adult passport renewal applicants may be paid online via U.S. or international credit or debit card, electronic funds transfer from a U.S.-based bank account, Amazon Pay, or Pay Pal.
- NOTE: Online fee payment is currently limited to U.S. citizens residing in Portugal and is currently available for adult renewal passport books ONLY. If you wish to renew or apply for a passport card, you must follow Option 2: Payment with a money order (vale postal).
Option 2: Payment with a Vale Postal
A vale postal from the local post office (CTT) addressed to the U.S Embassy. Only the exact amount will be accepted. Access our Consular Fees for more information.
5. A local Post Office pre-paid envelope “Correio Verde” / “Correio Azul”, and stamps for 2.00 euros to pay for the registration (one per applicant)
6. If Applicable – Name change documents – Original+ one photocopy) If you would like to change the name on your new passport due to marriage, divorce, or court order, please include proof of your name change. You must either submit (1) an U.S.-issued document, (2) the international model of your local marriage certificate OR (3) the original divorce/court order in the local language and a sworn translation into English.
PLEASE NOTE: Even though the envelope is prepaid, the stamps are necessary for us to send it as registered mail and we will not mail your new passport without them. Postage stamps MUST be affixed to the envelopes; Envelopes and registration MUST be pre-addressed with your name and address.
Your completed application must be submitted by mail to:
If you reside in Continental Portugal or Madeira Island:
American Citizen Services
Avenida das Forças Armadas
If you reside in the Azores islands, the above items can be sent by mail to:
Avenida Príncipe de Mónaco 6-2F
9500-237 Ponta Delgada
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to pay online an U.S. passport via Pay.gov?
You are eligible to renew your passport via Pay.gov if you are 16 years and older and already possess a U.S. Passport book issued no more than 15 years ago.
Where do I pay online?
Can I apply for a passport card by mail and pay fees online?
Currently, our overseas online fee payment form via Pay.gov is available only for passport book renewals.
Can I pay for the citizenship application/other ACS services on Pay.gov?
No, citizenship applications are not accepted via Pay.gov. Currently, our overseas online fee payment form via Pay.gov is available only for adult passport book renewals.
What payment methods are available for use via Pay.gov?
To utilize the online fee payment option for an adult passport renewal overseas, you would need to pay your fee either by internationally accepted credit/debit card, electronic funds transfer (from a U.S. bank account), PayPal, or Amazon Pay. All transactions are processed in U.S. dollars.
Can I pay more than one passport at a time in a single transaction on pay.gov?
No. A new payment must be completed for each passport application.
What if I am having technical issues with Pay.gov?
I paid using pay.gov but didn’t receive confirmation email.
If not able to locate confirmation email, do not attempt to pay again. You can request the confirmation email to be sent to you by emailing the pay.gov customer support at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call +1-800-624-1373. if you need your confirmation quickly. You will need to provide your Pay.gov tracking ID or the payment information (date of the transaction, amount, and last four digits of the card used to process the payment).
How do I know my payment information is secure on Pay.gov?
Pay.gov is a secured portal that uses 128-bit SSL encryption to ensure that your personal and payment information is protected. It is a trusted site used by more than 40 U.S. government agencies to collect forms and payments for customers.
If you have changed your name by marriage or divorce, you may apply for a new passport to be issued in your new name. We no longer amend passports. You will need to submit documentary evidence such as a court order, marriage or divorce certificate, or other satisfactory evidence to support a change of name. Only originals or certified copies will be accepted.