- Completed DS-82 application from the Passport Application Wizard. ONLY BLACK INK IS ACCEPTABLE
- One photo measuring 5cm x 5cm. The background of the photo must be white. There is a photo booth at the Embassy that will generate two photos for 5 euros
- Applicant’s current passport
- Appropriate fee
- A local Post Office registered pre-paid envelope (“Correio Registado” format C5 for 100g) with stamps for 0.80 euros or a “Correio Verde” / “Correio Azul” envelope with stamps for 1.70 euros (one per applicant). Please note you must pre-address the envelope with your name and address.
You can renew BY MAIL if all of the following apply:
- You submit your most recent undamaged passport;
- You received your most recent passport within the past 15 years;
- You were over age 16 when your last passport was issued;
- You have the same name or can legally document your name change.
The above items can be sent by mail to:
American Citizen Services
Avenida das Forças Armadas
If you have changed your name by marriage or divorce, you may apply for a new passport to be issued in your new name. We no longer amend passports. You will need to submit documentary evidence such as a court order, marriage or divorce certificate, or other satisfactory evidence to support a change of name. Only originals or certified copies will be accepted.