- Completed DS-82 application from the Passport Application Wizard.
- One photo measuring 5cm x 5cm. The background of the photo must be white. No glasses.
- Applicant’s current passport
- Appropriate fee
IMPORTANT NOTE: A postal money order (Vale Postal) from a local Post Office (CTT) is the ONLY accepted method of payment for a passport renewal by mail. Cash cannot be accepted by mail, and your application will be returned. American Citizen Services is not responsible for any associated lost postage or returns.
- A local Post Office pre-paid envelope (“Correio Verde” / “Correio Azul”, and stamps for 1.75 euros to pay for the registration (one per applicant). Even though the envelope is prepaid, the stamps are necessary for us to send it as registered mail and we will not mail your new passport without them. Please note you must pre-address the envelope with your name and address.
You can renew BY MAIL if all of the following apply:
- You submit your most recent undamaged passport;
- You received your most recent passport within the past 15 years;
- You were over age 16 when your last passport was issued;
- You have the same name or can legally document your name change.
The above items can be sent by mail to:
American Citizen Services
Avenida das Forças Armadas
If you have changed your name by marriage or divorce, you may apply for a new passport to be issued in your new name. We no longer amend passports. You will need to submit documentary evidence such as a court order, marriage or divorce certificate, or other satisfactory evidence to support a change of name. Only originals or certified copies will be accepted.