Immigrant Visas

The U.S. Embassy in Lisbon and U.S. Consulate General in Ponta Delgada NO longer process immigrant visa (IV) or diversity visa (DV) applications. These offices neither schedule nor conduct IV or DV interviews. ALL immigrant and diversity visa interviews and adjudications for residents of Portugal will take place at the U.S. Embassy in Paris, France. However, medical examinations do not have to be carried out in France and can be carried out in Portugal with the panel physicians of Lisbon or Ponta Delgada. For more complete information, please visit the Embassy Paris websitePlease note this change only affects immigrant visa processing. The U.S. Embassy in Lisbon will continue to process nonimmigrant visas.

An immigrant visa is required by anyone seeking indefinite or permanent residence in the United States. Upon entry into the United States, an immigrant visa holder is processed for a Permanent Resident Card (PRC), commonly known as a green card. For information on how to apply for an immigrant visa, please visit: Visa Types for Immigrants and the Embassy Paris website.

If you are interested in information regarding the Diversity Visa Program, please check this page.

Most cases will only require one trip to the Embassy in Paris. This trip will be for the visa interview.

Yes, the Embassy in Paris will provide Portuguese-speaking staff to help with the visa interview.

As part of the standard immigrant visa process, the National Visa Center will schedule your interview appointment upon receiving your immigrant visa application and supporting paperwork. Similarly for diversity visa applicants, the Kentucky Consular Center will schedule your case interview as part of the standard diversity visa process. If you wish to interview for your immigrant or diversity visa at another immigrant visa processing post besides Paris, you may make the request to the National Visa Center or the Kentucky Consular Center, respectively, prior to the time your appointment is scheduled in Paris. You must provide proof that you can process at the requested post.

Q: I’d like to apply for a nonimmigrant visa, file an application for returning resident status, obtain a travel letter because I lost my green card, apply for parole into the United States, apply as a follow-to-join refugees or asylee, or renounce my U.S. lawful permanent residence status. Must I travel to Paris for these services?

A: No, these services will continue to be carried out by Embassy Lisbon and Consulate Ponta Delgada.

All questions should be directed to Embassy Paris at Applicants whose appointments have not yet been scheduled or who are requesting information about applying for an immigrant visa should contact the National Visa Center at and by phone at 603-334-0700.

All inquiries regarding new cases should be directed to Embassy Paris at

The National Visa Center can be reached at and by phone at 603-334-0700.

The Kentucky Consular Center can be reached by email at and by phone at 606-526-7500.

The U.S. Embassy does not accept submission of abandonment of LPR status.  Individuals who wish to voluntarily record abandonment of their lawful permanent resident (LPR) status must submit Form I-407 via mail to USCIS Eastern Forms Center; Attn: I-407 unit. 124 Leroy Road, PO Box 567, Williston, VT 05495.   To get the Form and additional information, you may visit the USCIS website here.