U.S. Legal Permanent Residents/Green Card Holders

Lost or Stolen Green Card

A Permanent Resident Card, commonly known as a “Green Card”, may be issued or replaced ONLY by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) offices in the in the United States. The Embassy has no authority to issue or replace Permanent Resident Cards.

If Green Card has been lost or stolen, or if your Green Card has expired but you have maintained your Legal Permanent Resident status, you may come to the Embassy to apply for a Transportation Foil (also known as a Transportation Letter or Boarding Foil). To apply, create an account and set up an appointment with the U.S. Embassy here. Transportation Foils are valid for one entry and for one month. If you have been outside of the United States for more than one year, you no longer have LPR status. If you have questions about your LPR status, please contact visaslisbon@state.gov.

Please note: Issuance of a Transportation Foil may take around five working days. Same-day service is often impossible. Please plan accordingly.