Event: The Portuguese national civil authorities have issued warnings about rain and flooding for the early morning and morning hours of Tuesday, December 20. This afternoon, the civil authorities raised the special alert level to orange for the hours of 0000-0900 Tuesday December 20, and issued an SMS warning for the population in the districts of Viana do Castelo, Braga, Porto, Aveiro, Coimbra, Leiria, Lisbon and Setubal about the risk of flooding, noting it is particularly high in some regions, including the metropolitan area of Lisbon. The U.S. Embassy Lisbon will remain open, in operational status on December 20, but will not be open to the public.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Monitor the IPMA site for weather warnings and the Civil Protection site for flood advisories.
- View the Portugal.gov.pt for the full text and list of restrictions.
- Seek secure shelter as necessary.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- View prociv.pt for detailed information about current operations and alerts.
- Access Lisbon Municipality Website for information.
- American Citizen Services
U.S. Embassy Website: https://pt.usembassy.gov/ | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Emergency during Business hours: (+351) 21 727 3300 (press: 2 & press: 1)
Emergency outside of business hours: (+351) 21-727-3300
Latest Alerts and Messages
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- State Department – Consular Affairs :888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444