Location: Sintra and Cascais, Lisbon Region, Portugal
Event: More than 700 firefighters are continuing to fight a wildfire that started late Saturday night near Santuário da Peninha in the Sintra-Cascais Natural Park. High winds have pushed the fire south and already lead to preventative evacuations in the Biscaia, Figueira do Guincho, and Charneca areas. The highway Estrada Nacional 247 (EN-247) has been closed between Malveira da Serra and Cabo da Roca.
Be alert for further road closures and evacuations and heed directions from local authorities. Find up to date information on wildfires in Portugal at fogos.pt (file:///F1FC14FA-9F3A-44B0-9EBF-BD61B188E9A9/richtextedit.html) and follow local news.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area
- Seek secure shelter.
- Monitor local media for updates
- Make contingency plans to leave
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Notify friends and family of your safety
- U.S. Embassy in Portugal + (351) 21-770-2122
- + (351) 21-727-3300 (after hours)
- American Citizen Services: email@example.com
- State Department – – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Portugal Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter