World Youth Day 2023

For the downloadable version of the Pocket Guide: click here (PDF 497 KB).

Visit the official World Youth Day website here: .

Frequently Asked Questions

Which number should I call in an emergency?
Dial 112 for local police, fire, and ambulance services – available 24/7.

Where do I go if I need medical assistance?
Care will be provided at each of the main reception and catechetical sites and at the various event venues. First aid tents, medical and nursing support structures and, in some specific cases, “travel hospitals” will operate with the joint support of national entities.
If medical assistance is needed outside the period of the WYD events, or if you are not close to the location where these events are held, dial the national Contact Center 808 24 2424 for urgent advice or dial 112 for an ambulance (ambulância).

What if I get mugged?
Cancel or suspend your bank cards and go to the nearest police station to report the theft.

Where are the police stations in Lisbon?
This is a list of the nearest police stations of the main events locations:
– Parque Tejo: Rua da Ilha dos Amores 57B, 1990-371 (PSP – 40ª Esquadra (Parque das
– Eduardo VII Park: Rua Cardeal Saraiva, 1070-045 (Municipal Police of Lisbon)
– Terreiro do Paço: Rua do Arsenal 2, 1100-039 (PSP – 2ª Esquadra (Praça do Comércio))
(programme is still being updated, the list of all events locations is still pending confirmation)

Do I need travel insurance to go to Portugal?

 We highly recommend you to have travel insurance when visiting Portugal and you should buy it as soon as you book your flight.  It should cover emergency repatriation, death and potential medical costs.

The U.S. Embassy Lisbon cannot make any recommendations regarding particular insurance companies to choose.

What if my child under age 16 loses their passport and their parents are not present in Portugal?

The U.S. Consulate issues emergency passports to U.S. citizens who lose or get robbed of their U.S. passports.

The issuance of a passport to a minor requires the consent of both parents. If the parent or guardian cannot apply in person for the child’s emergency passport, the absent(s) parent(s) must complete Form DS-3053, and sign it in front of a U.S notary public. The notarization of this form is only valid for 90 days.

As a precaution, we recommend to all underage visitors coming to Portugal, not accompanied by both parents, to bring a notarized DS-3053 from the absent(s) parent(s). Scan the QR code to submit an emergency passport request.  We will contact you as soon as possible!

What if I get arrested and need a lawyer?
Ask the prison authorities to notify the U.S. Embassy in Lisbon. Consular officers can provide you with a list of English-speaking attorneys and can also contact your family on your behalf.

What if I lose or someone steals my passport?
Scan the QRcode to complete the appointment eForm. After you received the email confirmation, complete and print the forms (DS-11 or DS-64). Once you have collected the required documents, wait for the appointment to be scheduled.

I need to contact the Consular Services of the U.S. Embassy urgently, how can I do it?
For emergency consular assistance regarding U.S. citizens, contact: 351-21-727-3300.